As the temperatures rise, take proactive measures to lower your cooling bill. These expert energy saving tips will ensure you won’t feel the dreaded high price energy burn this summer.
Summer Energy Saving Tips
Keeping your home or office cool & comfortable
Install a Programmable Thermostat
Install and set a programmable thermostat, and turn your thermostat back 7-10 degrees while you’re asleep or away from home. Doing so will save you up to 10% on your heating and cooling bill each year.
Energy Saving Ninja
CW Suter Services, Siouxland’s Lennox Dealer, offers a variety of high-efficiency heating and cooling options. When you choose a new high-efficiency furnace or air conditioner by Lennox, a new iComfort Thermostat comes with it! We guarantee professional installation, and our SuterHeroes will even show you how to use it, so you get the most from your cool new robot-system.
Ventilation is Key
According to the Department of Energy, ventilation is the least expensive and most energy efficient way to cool your home.
- Open windows to create a crosswind through your home. This is the one time where living in a windy state isn’t such a bad thing.
- Using fans won’t lower the temperature in a room, but they will make you feel cooler. This allows you to raise the temperature without affecting comfort. Fans come in a variety of options including ceiling, table, floor, and wall mounted. Check your purchase to ensure that the fan you get is appropriate for the height of your ceilings and/or the size of your room.
- Whole house fans are another great option. They pull air in through the windows and exhaust it out the roof and attic. These fans should be installed by a professional.
Tight Home Envelope
Prevent warm air from leaking into your home. Properly insulate your attic and walls and seal all cracks and openings. Unfortunately, most of today’s homes do not have enough insulation and have significant air leaks. If you added up all the holes and gaps in a typical home’s envelope, it would be like having a window open every day of the year. Our HVAC experts can identify air leaks in your home and make recommendations on how to fix them.
Cooler Cooking Methods
Don’t let your appliances heat your home. Consider using your outdoor grill instead of your stove or oven during hot days. The folks at The Kitchn have compiled some delicious recipes that keep the heat out of the kitchen.
Whole Home Dehumidifier
Invest in a whole home dehumidifier. High humidity makes you feel hotter and can cause a multitude of problems in your home. Whole home dehumidifiers are up to 4x more energy efficient than portable dehumidifiers. You’re also able to automatically control the humidity level throughout your entire house. If you’re looking to dehumidify an office building, we offer scalable solutions, for everything from small offices to industrial-sized humidity control applications.
Energy Star AC unit
Buy an Energy Star qualified central air conditioning unit or heat pump. These units are up to 15 percent more energy efficient than standard models. Lennox has a variety of Energy Star certified products to choose from, for both heating and cooling. Ask for your FREE Home Comfort Assessment: we’ll send you a SuterHero to evaluate your home’s needs and help you choose a cooling system that fits your needs and your budget.
Seal up your ducts. Ducts are used to distribute conditioned air throughout your home, but in the typical home, 20-30 percent of the air that moves through the ducts is lost due to holes, leaks, and poorly connected ducts. A properly sealed duct system will make your home more energy efficient, comfortable, and safer.
Air Conditioning Beyond Central Air
As Grandpa used to say, there’s more than one way to shoe a horse, and the same holds true for cooling your home. The term “Air Conditioner” usually brings to mind one of two things: a window air conditioner and a large central air conditioning system, but our SuterHeroes have a couple of Summertime Life-hacks for keeping you energy efficient, while cooling your home. For instance:
- Add a Heat Pump: The name might be deceiving, but a heat pump helps to pump warm, muggy air out of your home, lessening the need to pump in cool air. When paired with a central air unit, this is the most efficient, most powerful cooling method for midwest homes.
- Consider a mini-split system: Does your home have an addition? Would you like to control the temperature in your garage or shop? A mini-split system may be right for you! When only certain rooms need heating and cooling, Lennox Ductless Mini-Split heat pumps and air conditioners provide a smart, affordable, and flexible solution.
- Install a new furnace – Stay with us here, it’s not crazy talk! – A furnace with a more efficient motor can actually improve your summer comfort as well as lower utility bills. Learn How…
It can be difficult to tell which cooling options are right for your home and family. That’s why we offer 100% FREE estimates for both our residential and commercial customers.
Commercial & industrial customers: Schedule a (FREE!) Energy & Efficiency Audit (and/or estimate) today, and find out how we can help you reduce overhead on your building/business ASAP.