Duct cleaning has many benefits, but if we’re being straightforward (which we always are), the reality is that duct cleaning alone is not a cure all. Yes, it does it have the capability to improve:
Your energy bill
Your family’s health
The longevity of your HVAC system
But duct cleaning needs to be done by a professional that will go the extra mile to sanitize your heating and cooling system components (think: A/C cooling coils, system fans, heat exchangers, etc). Lucky for your, our HVAC professionals do that and then some.
Also, installing an air purification system in conjunction with a duct cleaning will drastically improve your indoor air quality. While you’re at it, consider practicing these energy saving tips to make an even bigger impact on your utility bill. Now that we have that out of the way, let’s get down to the nitty gritty on dirty ducts.
Duct Cleaning / Indoor Air Quality Facts:
FACT: 1 in 6 people who suffer from allergies do so because of their direct relationship to bacteria and fungi in air duct systems. (Better Health Magazine)
FACT: Indoor air is up to 70X more polluted than outdoor air. (US Environmental Protection Agency)
FACT: People spend 60% to 90% of their time indoors. (American Lung Association)
FACT: Dust, Pollen, and animal dander are major triggers for asthma attacks. (American College of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology)
FACT: The elderly and young children are more likely to be affected by polluted indoor air. (UCLA Institute of Environment & Sustainability)
FACT: 50% of all illnesses are either caused or aggravated by polluted indoor air. (American College of Allergists)
6 Reasons to Have Your Ducts Cleaned:
When should you get your ducts cleaned? We’re glad you asked. There are a million reasons to get them cleaned, but we’ve narrowed it down to a solid 6.
- You or some of your family members suffer from asthma, allergies, or other respiratory issues. Cleaning your ducts gets ride of dander, dust, and micro-organisms that can exacerbate symptoms are cause attacks.
- You’re looking for ways to lower your energy bills and improve efficiency. Ducts account for about 20% of energy usage. Leaks, poor insulation, disconnected segments, and excessive dirt or blockages cause air flow problems. These problems lead to higher energy use and higher bills. Duct cleaning will optimize duct function.
- You want to create a healthier living environment for your family. Your family spends a majority of their time indoors. Why spend it breathing in unhealthy air?
- You’ve recently had remodeling or construction work done in your home. Construction work can leave behind a lot of debris in your duct work.
- You have pets – the furry kind. Pet dander is a real problem for those with allergies. Also, those little furry friends tend to track dirt into your home. That dirt will weasel its way into your ducts.
- Children or elderly people live in your home. Polluted indoor air affects these groups of people more.
Do it yourself jobs are great for a lot of home improvement/cleaning scenarios, but duct cleaning is not one of them. Odds are that you don’t own the right high-powered vacuum and rotary tools needed to effectively clean the ducts. It’s best to leave duct cleaning to the professionals.